Itemized menus are the type of menu we typically recommend for your website. With itemized menus you can add one or more menu sections that each contain items, prices, and optional extra fields like descriptions, spice ratings, dietary types, and calorie counts.
Note that these instructions only apply to itemized menus. Click here for instructions for updating PDF or JPG menus.
Adding a new section to an itemized menu
Itemized menus are organized using sections. Before adding your items, create one or more sections that will house the individual items.
- Log in to the BentoBox backend and click on Boxes, then select “Menus” from the list that appears.
- Click on the blue “Add New” button at the top right corner of the page.
- Fill in the fields below on the “Edit Menu” dialog that appears.
- Two Columns: will display a two column menu.
- No Layout: display a one column menu.
- Note that if you need to switch the layout later, you may lose any menu content that you’ve already added, so make sure you’re selecting the correct layout from the dropdown.
- Menu Name: the name of the menu you are editing.
- Layout: choose a layout from the dropdown.
- Location: If your business has multiple locations, click the “Select Location” dropdown to choose any locations that correspond to the menu you are editing.
Scroll down in the “Edit Menu” dialog and click the blue “Add New Section” button.
To edit an existing section, just click on it to edit.
Enter a title and optional description for the menu section.
You can now add items to the section (see below), or click the “Save & Close” button to save your changes. Now if you click the “Visit Site” link at the top of the screen, you will be able to view your changes.
Updating menu settings
Menu settings allow you to add item options to a menu. To update a menu’s settings, click the gear icon on the left hand sidebar.
Check the boxes for the options you’d like to add.
Note that you can enable these item options but leave them blank for menu items which they don’t apply to. You can also return at any time to add or remove options.
- Price: display the item’s price. This is included by default, but can be left blank.
- Description: display a short description of the menu item.
- Calories: display a calorie count for the menu item.
- Spice Rating: display an icon for spicy menu items.
- Dietary Type: display if an item is vegetarian, vegan, kosher, halal, and/or organic.
- Allergens: display if an item contains allergens such as dairy, peanuts, gluten free, and more.
Adding items to a section
Once you’ve created your section(s), you can add your menu items.
- Click the red “Add Item” button.
To edit an existing item, click on it to edit.
- Enter the item’s title and price and fill in any other applicable item options.
- To associate an image with a menu item, hover over the menu item and click the image thumbnail. Click the blue “Add” button that appears and choose an image.
- To add pricing options to a menu item, hover over the menu item and click the gear icon.
Check the boxes for the pricing options you’d like to add.
- Price Label: display a label next to the price.
- Price Unit: display a price per unit for items that come in multiples (“per dozen”).
- Price Range: display a price range for items that vary from a minimum to maximum price.
- Item Add-ons: display add-ons for an item, with a name and price or price range.
- Calorie Range: display a calorie range for items that vary in their calorie count.
Continue adding items, or click the “Save & Close” button. Now if you click the “Visit Site” link at the top of the screen, you will be able to view your changes.
Adding or editing text sections
In order to customize your menu with some free form content, you may want to add a text section to your itemized menu. This allows you the flexibility to add some introductory or explanatory text. To add a text section, follow the steps below.
- Click the blue “Add Text Section” button.
A text editor will appear. Click here for instructions on using the text editor.
- Enter the text or other content you’d like to include in the text section.
- When you’re done editing the text, click the “Save & Close” button. Now if you click the “Visit Site” link at the top of the screen, you will be able to view your changes.
Reordering itemized menu sections and items
Reorder menu sections
To reorder menu sections, log in to the BentoBox backend and click on Boxes, then select “Menus” from the list that appears. Hover over the menu you want to update and click the red edit button that appears. The Edit Menu dialog will appear. Now you can drag and drop by clicking and dragging the grid icon to the left of each section.
Reorder menu items
To reorder menu items within a section, follow the same steps as above, but once on the Edit Menu dialog, click on the section that houses the item you want to reorder. You’ll now see a grid icon to the left of each item.
Drag and drop by clicking and dragging the grid icon to update the order of the menu items.
Removing itemized menu sections and items
Remove menu sections
To remove a section from an itemized menu, edit the menu, then locate the section you want to remove and click on it to edit that section. Click the “X” button at the top right corner of the section, then click the “Remove entire section” button that appears.
Note that this cannot be undone. To remove a single item, see below.
Remove menu items
To remove an item from an itemized menu, edit the menu, then locate the section you want to remove and click on it to edit that section.
Hover over the item you want to remove, and click the “X” button that appear to the right of the item title.